Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Age of Innocence

The Age of Innocence-
To Newland, Love May


I ignore the unpleasant,
I act in all the appropriate ways,
I am a woman of 1877.

I follow the social etiquette.
I am from a rich and powerful family.
And I seem to be hardly aware of my limitations.

I am what you want.
I am innocent.

But you are naive.

I may ignore the unpleasant,
But I still see it.
I may act appropriately,
But I can see the look in your eyes-

The spark that lights when you see her.

But I know my limitations and their advantages.
It's you that is innocent, Newland.
Innocent to think I am not aware.

I gave you the chance to leave
and now it's too late.
Part of ignoring the unpleasant is destroying it.

Thank you for cooperating.
It's for the good of our family.
Sentiments must be preserved.

And I am a woman of 1877.
And Old New York is gone.
And the facade of the new has been put on.

It's called The Age of Innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment