Sunday, August 14, 2011

From Da To Ja



I'm going to take a quick break from the topic of Ukraine and write post I wrote in Germany.
August 10, 2011
Arriving in Germany I had plan A, B & C. My hopes were for plan A, but I had a bad feeling that they weren't going to work out. Plan A was my former foreign exchange student, Joana, would meet me at the airport and I would spend a fun 2 1/2 days with her and her friends- all of whom I love and miss. But being in Ukraine with out any contact with anyone for three weeks, I had a feeling the lack of communication was too long and she wouldn't be there. I was right. Plan B was Kinsey's former exchange student, Nadja. I had her number and tried to call her cell phone from the airport, but it was early and she didn't answer. Plan C- Will and Braden (two guys from my Loveworks team also staying in Germany for a couple days) get stuck with me. So I went with them. We randomly took the correct train and got to their hotel easily. Then with no sleep, except for a couple hours on the plane, for over 24hrs we scoured the city of Frankfurt, occasionally checking facebook on Will's iphone to try and contact Nadja or Joana.
So the story with Joana is confusing and I wish I handled it better towards the end, but I was exhausted. According to Joana she thought I was getting in the day before and was leaving for Atlanta for 2 months the next day, but I could hang out in Frankfurt with her for awhile (she would drive the 2hrs our there). By 3 she was in Frankfurt and I had just gotten back to the hotel from the zoo with the guys (random I know, but yeah I've been to the Frankfurt zoo). I was exhausted and felt like there was no possible way I could go figure out the subway system and find Joana and her boyfriend downtown. So I told her she had to find me-- and I was a little feisty about it, so it didn't go over well and she stopped talking to me. I feel bad because I really did want to see her and meet her boyfriend. Hopefully she forgives me.
After taking a nap I got a hold of Nadja as she got off work. I was able to take a 20min train ride out to her and she picked me up. Nadja to save the day! I'm so glad it worked out. They guys were so nice, but I would have felt really bad if I had to stay with them in their two bed hotel room.
So now I am writing this down [originally] in Nadja's sister's (Bianca) history class. Nadja had to work so I cam to school with Bianca. 11th grade- German high school. I've always said 17 was my favorite age. I have no idea what's going on, but it's funny. Tonight Nadja doesn't get home until 8, but then we are hanging out with her boyfriend so that will be fun. Then tomorrow I go home.
God really did work things out for good over all- though I'm still sad about not seeing Joana, Johannes, Christoph, Louisa and Stefan. Again I hope this doesn;t ruin mine and Joana's friendship. But I praise God for Nadja and her family's kindness and hospitality. I'm excited to go home tomorrow and sleep all day Friday. Not only will I be physically exhausted, but I know I'm going to be emotionally exhausted as well. I already miss Ukraine and the people and kids there.

No comments:

Post a Comment