Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Here It Goes.

I've had my last days of observing, and next semester I am going to begin my student teaching. Right now I am placed at Central Middle, but one of the English teachers at PV who is friends with my sister has requested me so I am hoping I am able to switch. Either way, come January I am going to have a much bigger part in the classroom than I have had observing. And I am nervous, excited, anxious, but pretty ready. I think the hardest part about observing was just sitting there most of the time. I wanted to help; I wanted to lead a discussion. I would be super nervous to do it, but the best part about student teaching is you have the actual teacher right there to instill confidence in you. And even though I didn't do much in my observation hours, when I was able to get involved the affirmation and confidence that came from Chris and Gina helped a lot. Sometimes you just need that approving nod that says "You got this" "Or you're fine, keep going."
That is one of the many things that I want to keep in mind when teaching my own students. We all need someone we respect to put their confidence in us. It means we can put some confidence in ourselves too.
I am going to remember Chris' ability to automatically think the best of someone, to apologize quickly and sincerely, to show how much she cares. I am going to remember the relationship that Gina and Chris built, one in which they were able to call each other out on things they thought could be improved. It wasn't just Chris telling Gina what to do, but Gina had the courage to talk to Chris about things that she thought needed to change as well.
I am really grateful for my observation experience, and it was by far the best part of the semester. The only part I really looked forward to actually. I am excited to start the program in January. I feel like I am finally taking some steps toward adulthood in something I can be passionate about. So, here it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment